I work at the intersection of religion and society, addressing questions of faith and culture. I am interested in the interaction of religions with each other and with wider society in Britain today and in India during the colonial and postcolonial periods. I also work on the place of ‘play’ in human experience and whenever possible watch others at play, especially cricket!
I hold degrees in Theology and Religion from Manchester (BA, 1976) and Oxford (DPhil, 1996), and in Area Studies (South Asia) from the School of Oriental and African Studies, London (MA, 1982), as well as a PGCE in Religious and Social Studies from Warwick (1977).
My role in College
As Dean, I work closely with colleagues in the Pastoral and Welfare team, to foster an inclusive and supportive ethos in the College. I am the organising tutor in Theology and Religion, and I also teach papers for the MTh in Applied Theology and MSt in the Study of Religions, as well as a range of undergraduate topics, including ‘Religion and Religions’ and ‘Nature of Religion’.
“Only connect.” E. M. Forster
- Ed. with A. R. Cross, Exploring Baptist Origins, Baptist Heritage 1 (Oxford: Regent’s Park College, 2010)
- Ed., Good Neighbours: A Study Guide, On Living in a Multi-Faith Society (Didcot: Joppa Group/Baptist Union, 2010)
- Faiths and Faithfulness: Pluralism, Dialogue and Mission in the Work of Kenneth Cragg and Lesslie Newbigin, Paternoster Theological Monographs (Milton Keynes: Paternoster, 2009)
- Ed., A Baptist Perspective on Inter-Faith Dialogue (Alcester: Joppa Publications, 1992)
Articles and Research Papers
- 'Play, the Origins of Culture and the Formation of a Christian Mind', in A. J. Clarke, ed., For the Sake of the Church: Essays in Honour of Paul S. Fiddes (Oxford: Regent’s Park College, 2014)
- 'The Encounter between Western and Eastern religions and cultures', Review & Expositor 111.1 (Feb. 2014)
- With G. Crippen, 'A Future in the Countryside for the Free Churches', Rural Theology 10.2 (Spring 2012)
- 'Pity Humanity and Christianity: The Work of William Carey in Postcolonial Perspective', Baptist Quarterly 44 (Oct. 2012)
- 'Bucking the System: One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest', in A. J. Clarke and P. S. Fiddes, eds, Flickering Images: The Dialogue between Theology and Film, Regent’s Study Guides 12 (Macon, GA: Smyth & Helwys, 2005)
- 'Inculturating Christianity in Postmodern Britain', in P. S. Fiddes, ed., Faith in the Centre, Regent’s Study Guides 9 (Macon, GA: Smyth & Helwys, 2001)