I have been a Fellow at Regent’s Park since 2007, having been the Minister of Baptist churches in Dagenham and Oxford. I am involved as a member of Cornerstone Baptist Church, Thame, and am a Trustee for the Southern Counties Baptist Association. My research interests have developed over time, having begun exploring the interplay between doctrine and New Testament studies, and more recently focusing on questions of ministerial formation and Baptist life and practice. I am married to Amanda and we have three children at school or university. Outside work, I enjoy cooking and baking, particularly making sourdough bread.
I hold degrees in Classics from Durham (BA, 1988), and in Theology from Oxford (MA, 1996 and BD, 2001) and Chester (DMin, 2017).
My role in College
As Senior Tutor, I have oversight of academic matters throughout the College. I share oversight of our Ministerial Formation programme, am Course Director for the BTh Suite, and liaise with churches within a wide geographical area, seeking to use the resources of College to encourage learning and training in Ministry and Mission for the whole church. I teach a variety of course for the BTh including early church and modern theology, Baptist history, preaching, Christian Ministry, and Greek.
- Ed. with A. Moore, Within the Love of God: Essays on the Doctrine of God in Honour of Paul S. Fiddes (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2014)
- Ed., For the Sake of the Church: Essays in Honour of Paul S. Fiddes (Oxford: Regent’s Park College, 2014)
- Ed. with P. S. Fiddes, Flickering Images: Theology and Film in Dialogue (Macon/Oxford: Smyth and Helwys/Regent’s Park College, 2005)
- Ed., Expecting Justice, but Seeing Bloodshed: Some Baptist Contributions to Following Jesus in a Violent World (Oxford: Whitley Publications, 2004)
- Ed., Bound for Glory: God, Church and World in Covenant (Oxford: Whitley Publications, 2002)
- A Cry in the Darkness: The Forsakenness of Jesus in Scripture, Theology and Experience, (Macon/Oxford: Smyth and Helwys/Regent’s Park College, 2002)
Articles and Research Papers
- 'Membership Matters: From a Barrier to a Threshold', Baptist Ministers’ Journal (2006)
- 'Children Around the Table: Children and Communion', Baptist Union of Great Britain (2010)
- 'Listening to the Voices: A Baptist Reflection', in P. S. Fiddes, ed., Sharing the Faith at the Boundaries of Unity: Further Conversations Between Anglicans and Baptists (Oxford: Regent’s Park College, 2015)