My research interests are in the areas of contextual theologies, World Christianity, feminist theologies and hospitality. I come from Aotearoa/NZ and have previously worked in Rwanda, Congo and Uganda with the New Zealand Church Missionary Society. Until 2016, I was General Secretary of the International Association for Mission Studies.
I hold degrees from the University of Auckland (MA, 1983 and PhD, 2004) and Melbourne College of Divinity (BD, 1998). I am married to Steve, a GP in Oxford, and we have three children and two grandchildren. I enjoy tennis, swimming, coffee, travel and watching the All Blacks.
My role in College
As Lecturer in Mission, I teach a range topics for the MTh in Applied Theology and the BTh Suite. I am also Tutor in Contextual Theology at Ripon College Cuddesdon, and MA Coordinator for Pioneer Leadership Training at CMS (Church Mission Society).
“The engendering Spirit did not enter her without consent. God waited.” Denise Levertov
- Ed. with S. Bevans, Mission on the Road to Emmaus: Constants, Context and Prophetic Dialogue (London: SCM, 2015)
- Ed. with J. Baker, Pioneering Spirituality (Norwich: Canterbury Press, 2015)
- Ed. with J. Baker, The Pioneer Gift (Norwich: Canterbury Press, 2014)
- Ed. with J. Corrie, Mission in Context, Explorations Inspired by J Andrew Kirk (Surrey: Ashgate, 2012)
- Ed. Life-Widening Mission: Global Anglican Perspectives (Oxford: Regnum, 2012)
- Ed. with A. Walls, Mission in the 21st Century: Exploring the Five Marks of Global Mission (London: D. L. T., 2008)
Articles and Research Papers
- 'The Missiological Dimension of the Lambeth Conference', in P. Avis and B. M. Guyer, eds, The Lambeth Conference, History, Theology and Purpose (Bloomsbury/T. & T. Clark, 2017)
- 'Marvellous Makanaka: Contextual Mission, Women and the Holy Spirit in the Church', in R. Hughson, ed., The Holy Spirit and the Church: Ecumenical Reflections with a Pastoral Perspective (Oxon: Routledge, 2016), pp. 73-98
- 'Radical Hospitality', in M. Pears and P. Cloke, eds, Mission in Marginal Places (Paternoster, 2016)
- 'Mission', in M. Chapman, S. Clarke and M. Percy, eds, Oxford Handbook on Anglicanism (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015)
- 'Hospitality: The Church as a Mother with an Open Heart', in C. Ross and S. Bevans, eds, Mission on the Road to Emmaus: Constants, Context and Prophetic Dialogue (London: SCM, 2015)