I am editor of a number of commercial editions of the works of Anthony Trollope and A-Level literary guides, have worked as an Oxford tutor for nearly forty years, publishing on ghost stories, Wilkie Collins and Kingsley Amis. I am currently working on Walter Scott, as well as being a Senior Examiner at A-Level and university. I keep fish, love cricket, walking and garden railways.
I have taken BA (1979), MPhil (1981), MA (1983) and DPhil (1991) degrees in English Language and Literature from Hertford College, Oxford.
My role in College
I take overall responsibility for undergraduate studies in English Language and Literature, and the annual round of admissions interviews for the College. I also teach a range of papers on the undergraduate syllabuses, including English 1760-1830, 1830-1910 and 1910-Present Day, Issues in Theology (Literary Topics), and dissertation supervision (1760-present day), as well as teaching for the College’s vibrant Visiting Student Programme.
“That passed away, so may this.” From the Old English poem, Deor.
- Ed., Wilkie Collins: The Collected Shorter Fiction (London: Robinson Publishing, 1995)
- Ed., Anthony Trollope: The Collected Shorter Fiction (London: Robinson Publishing, 1992)
- Ed. and Intro., Anthony Trollope: The Small House at Allington (Harmondsworth, Middx: Penguin Books Ltd., 1991)
- Ed. and Intro., Anthony Trollope: Cousin Henry (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1987)
- Ed. and Intro., Anthony Trollope: Ayala’s Angel (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1986)
Articles and Research Papers
- 'Seventy Years Since: Wuthering Heights as a Historical Novel', English Review 26.4 (April 2016), pp. 7-11
- Contributions to R. C. Terry, ed., Oxford Reader’s Companion to Trollope (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1999), including items on Trollope’s interest in Milton, cricket, lawn tennis, his biographers and the works of Sir Walter Scott
- 'The Decline and Fall of the Great English Ghost Story', in C. Sullivan and B. White, ed., Writing and Fantasy (London: Longman, 1999), pp. 207-22
- 'Introduction', Great Novels of Anthony Trollope (The Warden, Barchester Towers, An Eye for an Eye) (London: Magpie Books, Robinson Publishing, 1994)
- 'Introduction', Great Novels of George Eliot (Adam Bede, The Mill on the Floss, Silas Marner) (London: Magpie Books, Robinson Publishing, 1994)
- 'Introduction', Great Novels of Thomas Hardy (Far From the Madding Crowd, The Mayor of Casterbridge, Tess of the D’Urbervilles) (London: Magpie Books, Robinson Publishing, 1994)
- 'Victorian Workaholic', Trollopiana: The Journal of the Trollope Society 18 (August 1992), pp. 5-16